What Are EV Charging Apps and How Do They Work?
Electric cars are often fitted with the latest technological innovations and that includes being powered by a smart app. Most EV brands have their own app, such as the MG iSMART, which powers the brand’s specific model of car. These apps can do a number of clever things and can control various functions such as charging your electric car. This article will explain exactly how EV charging apps work and how you can use them to make charging your electric car easier than ever.
What is an EV charging app?
An EV charging app allows you to begin and finish charging your car from an app on your phone. This gives you greater control over when you charge your car. Once plugged in, you can put the time in the app of when you want the car to start charging. This means you can charge your car through the night without having to leave your home at unreasonable hours. Similarly, you can finish charging your car from your phone so that you don’t have to go outside and manually switch it off.
Why are EV charging apps useful?
- They allow you to manage your battery - Everything you need to know about your electric car battery is on your smart app. They can tell you if your battery is fully charged, how long it takes to charge your car and how much energy it uses. This is particularly useful when planning your journey as you know if you need to charge your car before you set off and how much time to allow for this so that you’re not caught short.
- They display real time charging information - Some EV charging apps can display real time charging information which lets you know the precise time it will take your car to fully charge. This is a great way to plan your journey, for example, you can go into a service station and wait inside until your phone signals that your car is fully charged and ready to go.
- They can help you locate charging stations - If your battery is showing as low then you can use your app to locate the nearest charging station to recharge. This can come in especially handy if you are on a road trip or in a new area where you are not too sure where your local charging station may be.
- They can help you reduce your carbon footprint - One of the main reasons to switch to an electric car is to help the environment. EV apps can monitor how much electricity and energy you are using so that you can keep your environmental impact to a minimum.
- They can save you money - Some energy companies have off-peak times when electricity is cheaper. The scheduling function of an EV charging app allows you to charge your car during these off-peak hours which can save you money in the long run. Simply check with your energy provider to see if you can make use of this cost-cutting feature.
How to charge electric car with MG iSMART app
You can charge your MG electric car from your phone providing that it is connected to a suitable charge lead - either a home charger or public charger. Once your car is connected just follow these simple steps:
- Open your MG iSMART app.
- Tap ‘charging management’. This will take you to a screen that displays how much charge your electric car currently has.
- Tap ‘start charging’ and enter your security code. This will begin charging your car so make sure you are aware of any cost of charging. Your charging status will update to ‘charging’ so you can be sure if you are charging or not.
- Once you are done, simply tap ‘finish charging’. Your real time charging information will update on the app so that you know how much battery you now currently have. For more information watch our MG iSMART battery and charge video here.